Avascular Necrosis of the hip occurs when the blood supply to the head of the femur is cut off. It leads to the death of bone cells and the collapse of the articular surface of the head of the femur. AVN can ultimately result in severe arthritis of the hip joint. The age group 35-50 years is most commonly affected. Males are affected more commonly than females. Both hip joints are commonly affected.
Causes of Avascular necrosis:
- Steroid intake
- Chronic alcohol consumption
- Radiation therapy
What are the symptoms of Avascular Necrosis of the hip?
- Progressive joint pain
- Pain is more noticeable in the anterior hip or groin
- Decreased range of motion
Diagnosis of AVN
- CT scan
- Bone scan
Treatment Of AVN Treatment is based on:
- Age of patient
- Location and area of bone affected.
Treatment may include:
- Medicines- NSAIDs to control pain, Osteoporosis drugs like Alendronate to slow the progression of the disease
- Activity modification
- Exercise to improve range of motion
- Walking aids
- Core decompression- involves drilling one large hole or several smaller holes into the affected area of the femoral head to relieve pressure on the bone
- Joint Replacement– Replaces the damaged joint with an artificial joint
Other symptoms related to bone diseases:
- Back Pain
- Pain caused by knee movement
- Difficulty climbing stairs
- Shortening or height over time
- Change in foot structure/ shape
- Joint and hip pain
- Swelling and stiffness
- Increased bone fracture
- Inability to fully straighten the knees
If you face any of the given symptoms call us at 9117100100 to consult our orthopaedic doctor.
Orchid Medical Centre has one of the best orthopedic doctors in Ranchi and has advanced medical equipment. 24 x 7 ICU back-up is also available.